168 Hours To Go.-oh-oh. I Wanna Be Sedated

Less than a week to go. Plans are being finalized, reservations are being confirmed. Emails are being printed. Everything is right on schedule, right?

Seats - Festering is a bad, bad thing



PLEASE CALL ME WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT SEATS!!!

This was the title of the email I received one lovely morning.  This email was then followed up by a message on my cell phone and a message on my home answering machine.

If you've never heard a New Orleans accent, they can be charming. Sometimes. Not when the person speaking with one is obviously having a panic attack. Then it just becomes abrasive and rather painful. I was neither abraised nor in pain. In fact, I was amused.


If you feel like torturing yourself, here's a small documentary on NOLA accents.


To understand the amusement of this, you have to understand the back story. For whatever reason, when we booked tickets on Virgin Atlantic in the Premium Economy (their business class) section, it was a mess. We had to wait a while due to credit card fraud and all this
drama that isn’t worth mentioning. We eventually were able to acquire the tickets and
had two seats together. The flight we wanted to take had only 2 seats together in the middle

seats in the middle of the middle section.

I don’t care what class you’re flying, if you’re over 5’5 as am I (5’8 on a good day) being in the mid/mid for longer than 3 hours is nothing less than torture.

Original seats. Mid/Mid.
I made the mistake of mentioning this.  Not even a mention really, merely mumbling this under my breath. to my mom, who tops out at an easy 5’3.

Randy Newman gets it.
Being a mother, and a regularly kind woman, she bends over backwards and nearly breaks.
Bending over
After a nice long chat with Edward at VA, we had our seats changed. Of course this also changed our flight from the afternoon flight to the evening flight, but nevertheless, I was given an aisle seat to stretch out my legs and all was right with the world…
Updated Seats - Back Right


UNTIL my mom found the seats listed on www.seatguru.com. This site is wonderful if you want to know what other people think of your assigned seats in any particular plane for any particular airline. Kind of a Yelp for plane seats.

Our seats were the last 2 in the section in the right side. According to seat guru, these seats didn't recline fully (not that mom would ever actually recline but she wants the option) and there was no under seat space because of a defib kit living there. The nerve of people to have heart attacks on planes!

This knowledge festered for a few days. Festering is a bad, bad thing.

A card from some game.

Turns out that mom was having heart palpitations thinking about it. The only way I can describe it is psycho systematic claustrophobia. “What if I’m trapped behind a man’s greasy head?” “I’m sweating just thinking about it! I can’t do it!”
The required call was then made. Our seats were then changed to two isle seats one behind the other.
“What if I recline, would you be all right?” Since I have to sit in the seat in front, of course. “I could handle that.” She says as I picture a fork being jabbed into my cranium.
So I guess we’re good.
This remains to be seen...















The next post will actually be from the road...
God help me.