The Day Next

The Day Next


It's Tuesday in the UK. Birds are chirping, the sun is shining, all things are right with the world.




Huh... was it? Was it really?  Let's review:

I just spent 10 hours trapped in a plane with the Haggis. I lumbered through UK Immigration carrying not one, but two bags. I pulled the suitcases from the conveyer belt and dragged them a billion miles through Heathrow. 



Let's get an Uber!

Why? Why, would we do that? Taxi, here, look, there is a taxi. We always take a taxi. No... we ordered an Uber instead.






Ok, here's the thing... Heathrow is a maze. A serious one, and when you get a ride share instead of a taxi, you're in for a treat! You know those immersive escape rooms that are sort of still popular, where you experience something so frustrating and vile until you find out the secret and then you want to punch someone in the face? Yes? It's like that.




It took about 15 calls (thank you AT&T for your Passport- which is no longer available by the way), and going up and down
and up down








stairs,









elevators and escalators (and we know how THAT works out) to finally get to the dude who's SUV we're to be transported in.


The guy was mad at us for making him wait, because it was our fault that we had no idea whatsoever where he was. Never mind the stupid Uber app told us to go to the wrong place.



Fine! Fine. We get in the stupid SUV and start our journey
to our usual arrival stopping spot, the Holiday Inn in Bloomsbury.

Oh, and as an aside, after using said UBER app, my account was hacked and Uber LOCKED it without letting me know, leaving me, yes STRANDED when I needed a ride. No, I no longer use the vile service.


After getting settled and trying to find out favorite concierge Keith (he wasn't in that night),  we take a well needed rest.

The evening comes around, and I used my interweb savvy to procure a nice tea for us at the Academy Hotel.

I was, of course familiar with this particular venue due to it's proximity to RADA.

It's a cute place and I've spent a good couple of weeks there subsequently, but I digress.

We have a lovely tea ordered. We were lead down stairs to the dining room and a nice setting was placed before us.

Nice, right?




I dig in. 
      
"This looks good!"

"Meh."

"What?"

"I don't like tea."




"What? What????? Hold the phone! Back it up... You don't like TEA???? This kind of tea? The stuff with the finger sandwiches and pastries? The pastries you eat ALL of? The tea where you insist on having  rum and diet coke instead of sparkling wine or champagne? WHAT?????"

"No."

"Um... since when?"  Now, keep in mind, not only have we had a nice tea every time we've been in the UK, we've also partaken in some nice varieties stateside.

"I've never like it."

"What the...?????"



With my mouth still agape, we grabbed a real taxi (Thank God) and took the short trek back to the HI where we turned in for the night. Granted, I was still in a state of odd stupefaction. We spent the night in relative peace  Peace being relative of course, because I had the maternal nocturnal sonance with which to contend.

This is the end of this day